What is the Breakout Accelerator? What is it aiming to do?
Through the Breakout Accelerator, a new generation of businesses from rural and regional Victoria and southern New South Wales will be mentored by and connected with national and global networks to drive their ideas forward whilst staying in the communities they love.
The concept was co-developed by the Australian Centre for Rural Entrepreneurship (ACRE) and SecondMuse, a global leader in innovation. The partners will work together to identify and bring national and international networks, experience and expertise to the doorstep of rural and regional innovators who join the Breakout Accelerator.
Innovators who are selected for the program can build new connections, access know-how, and receive guidance and support to grow new business opportunities. A key focus is assisting existing businesses and start-ups to develop the capabilities required to achieve commercial success in international markets.
What is the cost of taking part in the program?
Is there prize money or grant funding attached to the program?
Are you eligible?
- Live in rural/regional Victoria or southern New South Wales
- Are the founder or CEO of the business
- Have a clear business concept or are ready to expand an existing business
- Are willing to commit time and energy to the Breakout Accelerator program from November 2019 – June 2020
How is the program being funded?
When does the program start? How long does it run for?
What does the program involve?
Key components include:
- An immersive Forum from 24-29 November 2019 based in a new co-working space at The Old Beechworth Gaol, located in regional Victoria. During the Forum experienced mentors, advisers and investors will work side-by-side with each business owner/founder to plan next steps in business growth.
- A tailored, six-month program to help each innovator tackle their business challenges and connect with growth opportunities via a domestic and international network.
- An international outward-bound experience in mid 2020 for two businesses to further accelerate their connections, access and test international markets.
What’s an accelerator?
When do applications for the Breakout Accelerator open and close?
How do I apply for the Breakout Accelerator?
Simply follow these steps:
- Register your contact details. You will receive a confirmation email with a link to an online application
- Complete all questions in the online application form and submit your application.
TIP: You can save a draft of your online application, so you can review your answers before final submission.
Who will see the details of my application?
Applications are reviewed by an assessment panel with expertise in business, coaching and start-up development. The information on your application remains absolutely confidential and is restricted to the selection panel.
What business structures can participate in the program?
What happens after I submit an application?
What happens if I am shortlisted?
How many innovators will be selected to participate in the program?
What “stage” of business is a good fit for this program? Am I too early? Am I too late?
- Idea: you have identified a problem/opportunity you want to address, and have begun to define a concept to address that
- Proof of concept: you have begun initial tests, and verified the approach
- Prototype: you are refining and developing an approach based on initial testing
- Pilot: you are working toward testing your concept in the market
- Product development: you are redeveloping the concept
- Growth: you are established and focusing on growth
What’s the selection criteria for the Breakout Accelerator?
- Commitment to rural/regional Australia
- Technical feasibility and viability of enterprise or concept
- Pathway to scale
- Strength of project team and leadership
- Potential for social, economic, or environmental impact in rural /regional Australia
I live outside of rural and regional Victoria and southern New South Wales. Can I still apply?
What do you mean by Southern New South Wales?
What does the Breakout Accelerator program include?
If selected for the program, how many members of my team need to participate in the Breakout Accelerator?
Where is the Breakout Accelerator located?
What will be the terms of participation / the expectations?
If selected, do I need to relocate to Beechworth for the Accelerator?
I/we might not be eligible for this program, are there other ways we can receive support?
If you have additional questions or are having technical difficulties submitting your application, please send an email to email@example.com and we’ll get in touch.
Interested in applying?
The 2019/2020 Breakout Accelerator invites applications from people living in rural Victoria and southern NSW who are starting up, growing or diversifying a business.
Online applications are open from 16 August – 27 September 2019